Alicia Cañas Cortázar
Name: Alicia Cañas Cortázar
- Master of Fine Arts, Facultad de Bellas Artes de San Fernando, Universidad Complutense de Madrid. Master thesis entitled "Sobre el color y su percepción".
- Bachelor of Arts, major in Archeology, School of Geographt and History, Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
Professional Experience as an Illustrator:
- Begins my career as an Illustrator in 1985, working for the Spanish publishin company Anaya. Since then, I have been working with publishing companies both in Spain and abroad.
- I have been illustrated young and children's books from authors such as J.R.R. Tolkien, William Shakespeare, Jack London, Oscar Wilde, Naguib Mahfuz, WilhelmHauff, Chesterton, Karel Capek, Richard Kennedy, Jan Brzechwa, Sheila Och, Federico García Lorca, Gloria Fuertes, Jordi Serra i Fabra, among others.
Awards and Honors:
- Selected for the Bologna Children's Books Fair, Italy (1990)
- Finalist in the Spanish National Illustration Prize (1995)
- Fourth place in the Spanish National Prize for best book edition (1995)
- Third place in the Spanish National Prize for best book edition (1996)
- Invited as representative from the Spanish Ministry of Culture for the Young and Children's Book Fair in Mexico (1997)
- Second Place in the International Prize A la orilla del viento, Fondo de Cultura Económica México (1999)
- I have been a member of the jury for the Spanish National Illustration Awar, and a nominee for the jury of the Andersen Illustration Prize.
- I have participated in group illustration exhibitions all over the world, includin the United Kingdom, France, México and the United States.
- As a professional painter I had participated in several exhibitions both in Spain and abroad, and has won varios prizes.
- Advanced knowledge of both written and spoken English, with a one and a half year stay in Dublin (Ireland) and two months stay in the United States.
- Several years of field work as an archeologist in Atapuerca, Burgos (Spain) as part of an ongoing effort that led to several publications in scientific journals such as a Nature, and National Geographic. Also this group of investigation, won the spanish prize "Premio Príncipe de Asturias" in Spain
Deutsch (I can read it)
Young and childre's fiction books
- Grupo Editorial ANAYA S.L. (SPAIN)
- Grupo Editorial BRUÑO (SPAIN)
- Editorial GAVIOTA, S.L. (SPAIN)
- GRIMM PRESS (TAIWAN)
- Editorial SANTILLANA (SPAIN)
- Ediciones STA MARÍA (S.M.) (SPAIN)
- Ediciones SUSAETA, S.A. (SPAIN)
- E.D.B. Editorial (SPAIN)
- Editorial VICENS VIVES (SPAIN)
- Producciones AGRUPARTE (SPAIN)
- Editorial EVEREST, S.A. (SPAIN)
- CECILIE DRESLER VERLAG (GERMANY)
- GAKKEN (JAPAN)
- A.B.C. (SPAIN)
- ESCUELA ESPAÑOLA (SPAIN)
- Four place in the Spanish National Prize for best book edition (1995)
- Third place in the Spanish National Prize or best book edition (1996)
- Second place in the International Prize "A la orilla del viento", Editorial Fondo de Cultura Económica (MÉXICO)
- Several prices as a professional painter (SPAIN)
- 10 years as a drawing teacher.